This came to me today from Dr. Weil, who I really enjoy his practical ways of health, his focus on healthy eating, leaning towards a plant-based diet.
I would add to his information that even 5 minutes a day will help you, don’t think of this as needing to be a long sitting time, many people can’t handle sitting for that long, the breath is easy to concentrate on, try that first.
Meditation is simply directed concentration, and involves learning to focus your awareness and direct it onto an object: your breath, a phrase or word repeated silently, a memorized inspirational passage, or an image in the mind’s eye. The benefits of meditation are numerous, and include:
- Helping lower blood pressure
- Decreasing heart and respiratory rates
- Increasing blood flow
- Enhancing immune function
- Reducing perception of pain and relieving chronic pain due to arthritis and other disorders
- Maintaining level mood
- Bringing awareness and mindfulness to everyday aspects of life
A simple form of meditation that can be practiced by anyone is to walk or sit quietly in a natural setting and allow your thoughts and sensations to occur; observing them without judgment.