I’ve had this pinned to my board for a long time, it was given to me by a dear friend and it seems worth sharing and worth keeping close as we go through our days. Enjoy and share.
1. The Gift of Listening – But you must really listen. No interrupting, no daydreaming, no planning your response; just listening. (Very difficult!)
2. The Gift of Affection – Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on the back and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love you have for family and friends. (One of my favs)
3. The Gift of Laughter – Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories. Your gift will say, “I love to laugh with you.” (nothing better than telling a funny story and having someone laugh)
4. The Gift of a Written Note – It can be simple, “Thanks for the help” note or a full sonnet. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for a lifetime, and may even change a life. (such simple power)
5. The Gift of a Compliment – A simple and sincere, “You look great in red,” “You did a super job” or “That was a wonderful meal” can make someone’s day. (I know it makes mine, so I look for sincere compliments)
6. The Gift of a favor – Everyday, go out of your way to do something kind. (just…be kind)
7. The Gift of Solitude – There are times when we want nothing better than to be left alone. Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of solitude to others. (I do appreciate my solitude)
8. The Gift of a Cheerful Disposition – The easiest way to feel good is to extend a kind word to someone. Really it’s not hard to say “Hello” or “Thank you.” (With practice, this begins to come naturally)
Personally, I think it would be delightful to create this world where people give and receive these gifts daily.